These lists of materials for children and adults will make up a great quality (and not too expensive) art box. The links I have given are for materials that I have tried and tested and know to be of the best quality for a medium price range. Don’t feel you need to run out and buy everything on the list and you can always substitute materials for other things you already have at home. This list is here as a guide and can make a great gift for someone else or a great addition to your own materials.
My Top 7 Art Books for Adults:
1. Daily Painting by the totally gorgeous Carol Marine. If you are not already aware of the Daily Painting movement, I recommend joining their Instagram feed.
2. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. Betty will take you on a drawing journey that is guaranteed to improve your drawing skills.
3. Van Gogh’s Ear by Bernadette Murphy. A gripping true story about the fascinating life of Vincent Van Gogh.
4. Art Lover A Biography of Peggy Guggenheim by Anton Gill. If you love art and art history then you’ll love this. It’s a great book about the chaotic life of the unapologetic Peggy Guggenheim.
5. The Story of Art by E H Gombrich. A must have for anyone looking into the history of art.
6. Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking by David Bayles and Ted Orland. For those looking for a deeper understanding of the experience of making (or not making) art.
7. The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. One of my all-time favourite books. It will take you on a journey to access your creative self (whether you’re a writer, poet, musician, painter).